What is Home and Contents insurance?

Home and contents insurance is a type of home insurance policy that can help you financially protect the belongings in your home if they are stolen, destroyed or damaged. It can be bought as a standalone policy or a combined home insurance policy.

How does Home and Contents insurance work?

Home contents insurance normally covers items like your electrical goods, furniture, jewellery, money and clothes. It covers anything you might take with you if you moved house. As with all insurance providers, policies do differ, for example, some providers also include cover for the contents of your garden shed. Whilst some providers will exchange the damaged item for a new one however others will offer a reimbursement. As a general rule, high-value items, such as jewellery will need to be listed as a single value item. Some insurance providers do offer a higher contents insurance policy for items of major value. Standard Home contents insurance will insure your items for up to £50,000, this can be increased if necessary, with a low excess. Some insurers also provide ‘personal possessions’ insurance, which you can add onto your home contents insurance for a fee. It is important to remember to review your policy to add any newly acquired items throughout the year.

Do I need Home Contents insurance?

Home contents insurance should be considered by everyone. Just have a moment to think about how much it would cost to replace all the items in your home? Could you afford to replace items lost, stolen or damaged? Our expert advisors will take the time to understand what you need and help you decide the best option to suit your needs. Get in touch to find out more.